About Us » Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting

Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting

How to File a Complaint of Child Abuse Committed at a School Site

Parents and guardians of pupils have the right to file a complaint against a school employee or other person that they suspect has engaged in abuse of a child at a school site. To file a complaint, the parent or guardian must file a formal report with an appropriate local law enforcement agency. An appropriate law enforcement agency may be one of the following:

• A Police or Sheriff’s Department (not including a school district police department or school security department)
• A County Probation Department if designated by the county to receive child abuse reports, or
• A County Welfare Department/County Child Protective Services

The complaint may be filed over the telephone, in person, or in writing. A complaint may also be filed at the same time with your school district or county office of education. School districts and county offices of education, however, do not investigate child abuse allegations.

For more information on child abuse and child abuse reporting, visit the California Department of Education web site: http://www.cde.ca.gov/ls/ss/ap/